AT SOME POINT IN MY DAY..

 


A pause and a few lines to rethink the obvious.

When you read the phrase "I am a professional", it should mean the same thing as: "I have experience, knowledge, education, the infrastructure to operate, and a proven track record," among other details intrinsic to the profession in question. And, of course, this applies to the majority of services provided, if not all of them. So, this time, let’s consider the role or service of a "DJ."

It’s obvious, but worth reiterating that we need:

Equipment (preferably with redundancy). Insurance for yourself and your client in case of an accident. Formalization of your service, even knowing that we often start out alone and feel too small for that step initially. An understanding of "where you stand in the grand scheme of things". What level of service you can actually provide and "sell" to the client. A clear, precise understanding of your total costs (encompassing, but not limited to: infrastructure, maintenance, business operations, and your own salary), as well as your operating margin and the selling price (including profit!) for the client. A detailed, pre-defined workflow to ensure the client is informed and confident about what to expect when hiring you.

Well, this is just the beginning, we could certainly dissect many other points. But for me, truly, the most important thing is knowing who I am. What I can genuinely accomplish and deliver with quality. What my client actually needs and wants to receive. And whether I am the right choice to serve them. All this without vanity, arrogance, or hubris, but with genuine respect for the role, the profession, and my commitment to the work at hand.

Notice that: I haven't mentioned marketing of any kind. While marketing is important for any business, of course, it is far from being the most critical factor for someone aiming to grow in their chosen field.

Be honest. Be respectful. Stay focused.
And be transparent about what you aim to achieve.
It might take time, but you will grow.

The DMJAY Project 
08/2026

Comments